Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February Birthdays

Cath posted a great one about our friend, Mark, today--he was killed in Iraq two-years-ago in April. We were college roommates, neighbors in Laguna, both had wives named "Sarah," and both had February birthdays, he was a day after my Mom's and eight days before my own. I beat him to 40 and now have to beat him to 41--that sucks.

This is Cath's post: http://2010creationandsubtraction.blogspot.com/

Made a memory today.
Went to see where my friend Mark is buried.
74.4 miles south of my home is where his grave is.
(At first I typed "where he is." But Mark isn't there. He's elsewhere. Surfing with Jesus.)
It's peaceful at Rosencrans. The view is beautiful. While I was there, in the harbor down below in the distance, an aircraft carrier slowly moved by toward the open sea. So did a tall ship with three masts, and a destroyer.
There was a gentle breeze and birds sang and flirted in the nearby trees.
It smelled like mown grass.
In three days he would have been 41.
I miss him.


I tried to comment but couldn't figure it out. Blame it on the Mac. I sent Cath a note.

"I think I know where he is. . .'and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.'" Gen. 1:2.

god takes my brothers
baptism of the spirit
communion of saints

1 comment: