Sunday, February 28, 2010

Newest Vanderveen





My brother, Joel and his wife Katie had a son last week, Emmett Joel (EJ), the newest addition to the Vanderveen Collection. Sarah and I went to visit him today, he had just been circumcised--eight days after his birth as per Jewish law and custom (my brother and his wife keep a version of Messianic Judaism). Beautiful boy.

Holding another child from my brother's family, now larger than my own, and his first son, I started to think more about what his boy will be like when he's a teenager like my own two sons. It's like you're looking at a blank slate, some of which will develop via the DNA and some of which will be shaped with environment, prayer and time. "Who's in there?" I kept asking.

EJ WTF?
peanut-like in size and shape
who are you? who? who?

No comments:

Post a Comment